Sexuality is a birth-to-death experience and sexual exploration and play are considered a natural part of a person’s development – from infancy into adulthood. However, there are some sexual behaviors that go beyond harmless curiosity. This training will outline healthy, unhealthy and dangerous signs in sexual development and help you determine what to do if someone you support is exhibiting concerning sexual behaviors.
• Recognizing signs of healthy sexual development in various age groupings
• Naming examples of concerning sexual behaviors
• Understanding sexually maladaptive behaviors
• Articulating how to respond to sexually maladaptive behaviors – especially in a team setting
• Understanding mandatory reporting and interacting with abuse investigators and the police
This training is designed for anyone supporting someone else (such as parents, medical and mental health professionals, care team members, etc.), who needs to recognize the difference between healthy and unhealthy behaviors related to sexual development. It is especially helpful when the person you are supporting experiences I/DD or neurodiversity.